Victor Wishna is an award-winning writer, editor, author, playwright, and commentator, among other things. A graduate of Stanford University and the New School's creative writing MFA program, he has written for the Wall Street Journal, the Baltimore Sun, the Miami Herald, the Kansas City Star, Humanities, and other major magazines and newspapers. He contributes a weekly real estate feature to the New York Post and his column “Letter from New York” is syndicated nationally. Victor also served as special aide to Chancellor Arnold Eisen at the Jewish Theological Seminary of America, where he assisted with researching, editing, and writing of official speeches and publications.
With photographer Ken Collins, he published In Their Company: Portraits of American Playwrights (Umbrage Editions, 2006), which won an Independent Publisher Book Awards Silver Medal; his own stage writing has been produced regionally and locally, including most recently this summer at the City Theatre of Independence’s Original Playwrights Festival, where his play The Impressionists won the award for Best Script.
After nearly 12 years living and writing in New York City, Victor returned to his hometown of Kansas City, where he lives with his wife and their baby daughter. In 2011, he founded The Vital Word and, as Chief Editorial Officer, has helped find the right words for an array of nonprofit, corporate, and individual clients. His words can also be seen—and heard—via the local and national media outlets to which he regularly contributes, his efforts as senior editor at KCMetropolis, his language-related posts as a founding contributor to Book Riot, and his regular commentary on NPR affiliate KCUR-FM.
When not writing for publication or pleasure, Victor is honing his stand-up routine, which he has performed at numerous clubs and special events around New York, the Midwest, and elsewhere. In June 2010, he was named New York’s second-funniest amateur Jewish comedian by The Jewish Week. Seriously.
- For a complete resume, please click here.
- For links to some of Victor's published articles, please click here.
- For information on and excerpts from Victor's book, In Their Company, please click here.
- For Victor's theatre reviews and features at KCMetropolis.org, please click here.
- For his sports-related radio commentary, “A Fan’s Notes,” on KCUR-FM, please click here.
- For word- and language-related musings on BookRiot.com, please click here.
- For weekly Kansas City Chiefs commentary on ArrowheadAddict.com, please click here.
- For an introduction to and examples of his column “Letter From New York,” please click here.
- For an example of his original stand-up comedy, please click here.